The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stone of Odin Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Stone of Odin
Re: Mmm...
24 messages
Select a forum:
Weeeell, there have been several viking finds in Dublin. There is a nice little museum, but it is little. I have not been there yet (was planning to at Easter with the kiddlies), but I've heard there is an exposed street there like at Yorvik.

Place names were affected. The part of the Dublin landscape that I think dominated the Dublin area in neolithic times, Howth, bears a norse name. Howth derives from the norse for 'promontory'. We will never know what its name and therefor its true role was in yesteryear.

There are a few runic inscriptions here and there but I have yet to come across too much interference/interfacing with the locals.

I feel a lot of searching coming on. I'm off to the reference library on Wednesday night and so perhaps I can come across something. I'm intrigued myself now.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
18th February 2002ce
08:39

In reply to:

Mmm... (Annexus Quam)

1 reply:

Re: Mmm... (Annexus Quam)

Messages in this topic: