The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cairn X1 Forum Start a topic | Search
Cairn X1
Re: Cairn X1 rides again!
16 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:

Oi! You've made that out of paper mache! I certainly couldn't see a quarter of that when I was there. Nice! I might have to go back.

Where'd all the moss go?

It's still very hard to make out with all the lichen etc. when looking at it in daylight, I only knew to study this stone because there must have been a group of people up here recently, all the grass and nettles had been cut back and trampled around this particular stone. There was a group of US and Irish archaeologists over on Carnbane East when I was over there earlier so it might have been them but it looks like whoever did it put blue chalk on some of the markings, so maybe not.

Moss seems to have been cleared right off the bottom half, it had that browny damp sort of look about it but I think there's still quite a bit below ground level.

I also had a look at that toppled stone you found carved arcs on, think I got some pics where you can make those out too.

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
8th July 2007ce
10:04

In reply to:

Re: Cairn X1 rides again! (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: