The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hawk Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Hawk Stone
Vandalism at Hawkstone, Dean
18 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry everyone - I posted this but it didn't show up on the forum so I'm trying it again. If it is posted already I've locked the old post. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I went back to the Hawkstone yesterday and was appalled to find that somone had used a key, or similar, to cut the initials MW into the stone.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/50972

I have been to the site three times in as many weeks and I didn't notice it last weekend so I think it's new. Unfortunately due to my ongoing Sepriph PhotoPlus nightmare, I had to take the image with my phone so the quality's not brilliant. I tried rubbing the marks but stopped in fear of rubbing the lichen off and making it more noticeable.

I am furious about this. I've developed a real affinity with this stone and the site is the only place I've come to where I have actually felt my mood change, I feel something I can't explain when I go there.

MW, I doubt you can read or visit TMA. On the off chance you can and do, though, come back to the Hawkstone this Sunday. A six foot, 15 stone rugby player is waiting to reeducate you...

Reply | with quote
jacksprat
Posted by jacksprat
11th September 2006ce
09:29

Messages in this topic: