The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scheduled Rock 25350 Forum Start a topic | Search
Scheduled Rock 25350
Re: Eyup Treehugger...
7 messages
Select a forum:
bad magic, kill, kill. I had a fire the night of the eclipse, two cameras with film in and I missed that moonrise with the bit missing. I didn't know it was happening. Still alive though. There's a whole stone circle's worth of stones in a roadside field in Kirkhaugh that have all the marks of horrible bonfires. Chips of stone used as wedges to widen the fractures. The red oxide colour, in the stone, fades in a couple of decades or so. I think the obviously carved stones will have gone in the fire first. Probably local people then took fragments away for their gardens. There's a hypothesised Old Red Sandstone menhir/outlier from Halliwell, Bolton in pieces. My dad has a bit, and another is built into a mill front - that's due for demolition - a retired geography teacher has written to me about another piece, in her garden. Maybe that'll be a bit with some carving on.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
9th September 2006ce
22:44

In reply to:

Re: Eyup Treehugger... (Hob)

Messages in this topic: