The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Mystical, Academic or Aesthetic
59 messages
Select a forum:
whatisthat wrote:
I think TMA should focus on monuments and their history which I suppose means academic and aesthetic. The mystical stuff seems to be focused on self and (modern) personal beliefs. IMO the two sides are incompatible.

I disagree. They're incompatible at their extremes, but there are areas in the middle where the two can meet. For example, the belief that megaliths are sited according to some form of "earth energy" does not have to be incompatible with archaeology... unless you wander into the territory of druids floating blue stones around on anti-gravity energy cushions or such like :D

I have no view on the subject, to be honest. I have no idea whether there's mysterious energy pulsing through the land, or whether we live in a cold, mechanistic universe. I've pretty much given up trying to work it out and simply enjoy the landscape of my country for what it is and how it feels. I just don't like the utterly dismissive tone that's sometimes adopted towards anyone who doesn't hold a strictly mystical-free view of all things megalithic. I mean why, FFS, shouldn't we take alternative views seriously, so long as they're not utterly outlandish and at odds with known history and physics? I don't see why everyone should be tarred with the same brush as the-poster-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned.

This topic is locked
doktoratomik
Posted by doktoratomik
6th September 2006ce
18:13

In reply to:

Mystical, Academic or Aesthetic (whatisthat)

Messages in this topic: