The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hampshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Hampshire
Re: New Forest
12 messages
Select a forum:
bawn79 wrote:
My girlfiend has been working in Christchurch for the last year, sometimes we go out to the New Forrest for a walk and im like "walk to see what?" and she is just like for a walk. Its funny Im not sure I can go for a walk in the countryside anymore without having to be going to see something, I know its bad!

I know exactly what you mean! To be honest we normally go a little further afield on our walks (Dorset's only an hour or so up the road and has a few lovely megalithic walks), but there is something not altogether unappealling about the Forest... I always end up thinking it's nicer than I remember afterwards... There's some nice trees. And a bizarre Portuguese Fireplace! Yep - that's what I thought! ;o)

bawn79 wrote:
Ive had a look at a few maps and there doesnt seem to be much ancient stuff around. I havent gone to the Knowlton henge, im over the august bank holiday weekend so I will watch this thread with interest.

I wouldn't hold yer breath! Most of the stuff has either disappeared under gorse, or, as I hope, is just buried to be excavated at some not-too-distant point in the future..! It seems a big area, to me, to be so free of megalithic activity. But then that's Hampshire, innit? ;o)

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
7th July 2006ce
10:01

In reply to:

Re: New Forest (bawn79)

1 reply:

Re: New Forest (texlahoma)

Messages in this topic: