The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Plans for a new Stonehenge
13 messages
Select a forum:
from the Gazette and Herald.
Starts off well and then goes peculiar...

"Beneath a spectacular summer solstice sunrise, in a secret location in north Wiltshire, experts from Wessex Archeology began calculations on the alignment for the creation of a new Stonehenge.

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald was the only newspaper to be invited to the dawn of the Circle in the West – a multi million pound project to recreate a full sized replica of Stonehenge as it would have looked 4,000 years ago.

The ambitious project, to build a world heritage landmark architectural sculpture in North Wiltshire is still in its infancy and the site has yet to be agreed and finalized.

But if the plans come to fruition and receive the support of the local community and the North Wiltshire planners it could be a major visitor attractions and a huge boost to tourism in the area.

The project was initiated by Colin Shearing, who attended the solstice dawn meeting with experts from Wessex archeology to check out the alignment of the rising sun. The circle in the West would be the culmination of his 30year dream to build a new Stonehenge.
“Back in 1976 I spent the summer solstice at Stonehenge,” he said, “I thought I could see the stones as they were , as though it was showing itself as new. That stayed with me.”
However it was decades later this fledgling idea came closer to actuality. Mr. Shearing was talking to some friends about Millennium projects and decided the new stone circle could be a permanent millennium project, to last as long as the original stone circle.
Chris Brayne of Wessex archeology said; “We used software to calculate the direction the sun would rise from, from a point Colin chose.” He said he was very excited about the project.
“I’m all for people having an interest in the past and think this will also endure into the future.”

Archeological evidence suggests there were seven stone circles at Stonehenge, erected at different times, with the final phase completed in 2,000BC.

In the new circle, the stones will be dressed, cut and polished to bring out their natural beauty. The last of the Preseli Bluestones from west Wales will be used for the centre, with other stones coming from all around the world. The whole circle will be set on white stone and surrounded by a white wall.

The circle will be only part of the project. It will also include a visitors centre, planetarium and restaurant all sited underground and designed to look like a Neolithic burial mound.
The site will also be a living laboratory for academics in the fields of astronomy, engineering, architecture and building and a year calender of events will include a month long choral festival, celebrations of old British festivals and even weddings.
The whole project will seek to use the most innovative methods of sustainable development and alternative energy technology so it will have a minimum impact on the environment.
The 270 stones could cost around £10 million and the visitors’ centre a further £10million with funding coming from private investors.

A planning application could be submitted by the end of the year.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
22nd June 2006ce
09:35

Messages in this topic: