The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
mountainman wrote:

Thorpe and Williams-Thorpe (Antiquity 1991) looked at all of the UK sites and found that the megalith builders used stones from up to 2 km away quite often, but that there was no case of stones being carried more than 5 km. So let's refer to all of these sites as "using locally-sourced stones."

I have just had a quick skim through the Thorpe & Williams Thorpe paper and it is apparent that they merely done a quick survey not dissimilar to what archaeologists had noted since the early 20th C. i.e. that megalithic monuments are confined to areas where there are convenient local outcrops or rocky areas in general . They have not done a survey of each stone circle and the lithogeochemistry of each component ,an immense task and probably unnecessary as the basic assumption of the earlier archaeos is probably broadly correct that the builders used local materials exactly as you would expect . However there are some monuments where there is obviously not the case but as all these cases are in areas that have seen some ice cover or extreme glaciation they take the view that this explains all the anomalies . They are by no means as certain as you though in that they say “ most stone circles in Britain appear to have been constructed from local materials “ and “within the glaciated areas of N Europe it is more difficult to interpret because of the possibility of glacial transport “( my italics ) .They do mention Old Keig saying “the Grampian area has experienced repeated extensive glaciations ; the case for human transport , rather than selection from locally deposited glacial till is unproven “ I wonder , if by placing Old Keig within the Grampian area they are aware of the huge differential in glaciation in that political zone which contains the Cairngorms ,which were heavily glaciated but further north had an entirely different experience ( see “The Glacial Period in Aberdeenshire and the Southern Border of the Moray Firth “ Thomas Jamieson .) resulting in the previously mentioned lack of erratics . I doubt that you will find a local geologist claiming the recumbent to be an erratic. One sacred cow may have been taken towards to the slaughter house but it may be replaced by another , if any reasonable suggestion is met by “it was probably an erratic “ it leads to a conclusion that the inhabitants of previously glaciated northern Europe were somehow causally connected to these events resulting in an inability to move megaliths long distances whilst their neighbours to the south , possibly not lacking in the mineral deficiencies

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
18th December 2008ce
17:24

In reply to:

Re: The bluestone debate (mountainman)

2 replies:

Re: The bluestone debate (mountainman)
Re: The bluestone debate (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: