The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
Good to see the thread is up and running again. Thought it might have been permanently shut off.......

Re the moving of big stones here and there, I have no problem with that, although in some cases I bet that some of the movement from A to B was achieved by ice, especially on the fringes of the upland areas of the UK. I suspect that very often, ice has not even been considered as a transporting agent.

The point is that just because you believe that Neolithic tribes were capable of transporting stones from A to B, that does not mean they actually did it. According top Steve Burrow, in every single case in Wales where big stones have been used in megalithic settings, the stones have come from the immediate vicinity. In fact, the availability of stone was the prime factor in fixing location. Why should Stonehenge have been any different? If you guys are so determined to maintain the human transport theory, let's see the colour of your evidence. I ain't seen any yet......

Reply | with quote
Posted by mountainman
13th December 2008ce
21:46

In reply to:

The bluestone debate (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: