The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: The bluestone debate
390 messages
Select a forum:
GordonP wrote:
PS I'm not talking about an animal skinned boat but a real sea going boat perhaps 50 ft long and 12ft in the beam with a rockered bottom.

And they existed? I'd like to see one of those.

The Wexford quarrymen had a long time to do things the easiest way possible. It's probably safe to assume that they were on piece work, so I think they would make it as easy and efficient as possible.

Using this method you wouldn't need a 50ft barge. Slinging it underneath you have no problems with balance. Admittedly, a big wave would probably sink you and they were only coastal. However, the bluestones could have been brought 'coastally' rather by open sea.

Although I accept that the Neolithic people weren't lesser beings, I don't subscribe to them being superior. I know we have lost the methods used, but that doesn't mean that the lost methods were the ultimate and most efficient available.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
18th November 2008ce
11:16

In reply to:

Re: The bluestone debate (GordonP)

1 reply:

Re: The bluestone debate (GordonP)

Messages in this topic: