The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Corderry Forum Start a topic | Search
Corderry
Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn?
26 messages
Select a forum:
bawn79 wrote:
Im thinking of going on a road trip sometime over January, Id like to head to somewhere that is out of the way and hasnt been put up on the web before so any ideas much appreciated (within Ireland)

Depends what you're after really. I keep thinking that all the good stuff must be done already, but then I see things like Corderry or the passage tomb I was at in Sligo (don't know townland name yet).

There are around 250 passage tombs in Ireland and I've been to something like 130 of them, so there's a challenge :-)

I have three personal challenges to get through -

1) every portal tomb, which I've nearly done

2) Every round tower & every high cross, which I'm not far off

3) Every bullaun stone ... yikes!!!

Derry and Tyrone are quite unrepresented on the net. I've done quite a bit, but there's loads up there. The problem with the stone circles up there is that they're nearly all just 1ft high in peat bogs.

Rostellan could be a folly. I wouldn't argue too much if someone came up with very good reasoning, I've always been a little uncomfortable about it.

Borlase wrote:
This monument having fallen naturally, or having been wilfully thrown down, was set up again by Dr. Wise.

He goes on to indicate that there are no drawings of it before 'restoration', either flattened or erect. It could be that it was re-erected badly or that it is just a collection of slabs that someone stood up again. If the two side stones were laid flat instead of standing upright, you'd have a pretty good kist.

I am sure that it wasn't built on the beach. It's much more likely that it was on higher ground that was undercut by the tide and it fell on to the beach where it was re-erected by Dr. Wise.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
31st December 2008ce
08:19

In reply to:

Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn? (bawn79)

Messages in this topic: