The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Corderry Forum Start a topic | Search
Corderry
Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn?
26 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
The book was called something like "Parishes of Elmer and XXXX" by O'Dwyer. Can't remember his first name. It's a big book the size of a thick Archaeological Inventory.

I will keep an ear out for that book, its amazing what a bit of local knowledge can do, like there is a guy from cork on the stonespages forum
that thinks the portal tomb at Rostellan may in fact be a folly.

I have to thank you for doing so much work down your way! I would never have gone to Cromwell or Shrough otherwise. Corderry has always been on my list, though.
Ah you know all the sites Ive visited are mainly down to having seen them on megalithomania so the same to the great work you do.

I think the second bullaun at Gortahover might still be there. There's a boggy field up the track that I didn't have time to clamber into at about the right place. Seems like an ideal bullaun spot. It's thick with gorse and reeds, though.

Ill have a look for that bullaun next time I pass by, Im not far at all from it really. Ill try and keep the main bullaun clean too.

I was up in Sligo today, back at Magheraghanrush. Thanks to Andy for going to check it out and posting the treeless pictures! Apart from the apocalyptic surroundings of the felled tree stumps the site is so much better now. Well worth a trip! I also went to another passage tomb up in Sligo that blew my mind more than Croaghaun Mountain!!!!! A bitch to get to, but, again, worth it if you're fit enough to get to it (I only just made it!).

I look forward to see the pics from the passage tomb in Sligo, sounds like you are getting to a few really off the beaten track up there.

I have a few interesting pics to put up, one or two you might find interesting. Its good to be back to internet access but will probably be away for another few days.

Im thinking of going on a road trip sometime over January, Id like to head to somewhere that is out of the way and hasnt been put up on the web before so any ideas much appreciated (within Ireland)

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
30th December 2008ce
20:40

In reply to:

Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: