The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Corderry Forum Start a topic | Search
Corderry
Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn?
26 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Thanks , just done a quick check from the tomb to the summit of Coolfree the declination is very close to solstice sunset the bearing being 227.8 degrees .If the chamber has that orientation ?

It really isn't too far off from observations at the site. It's unusual for a wedge tomb to point so far south, but the one at Cromwell does too (it's not a passage tomb as Derek has labeled it on TMA).

Not sure why I called it a passage grave at the time.
Will have to rack my brains. But your right it is a wedge tomb as far as I can remember.
Nice to hear you were down around Tipp etc. Was that a hint to me about keeping the bullaun at Gortavoher clean by the way?
Nice pics of shrough by the way. I couldnt really capture the views in mine.

I read through your fieldnotes, Im curious about the book the farmer showed you on the locality. Were they early christain sites or older? Any chance you can recall the name of the book?
I havent heard of much else around Longstone itself. Although I do recall that they found a hoard or two in a nearby Bog that was used for votic offerings etc.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
30th December 2008ce
15:34

In reply to:

Re: Townland name - Eds, Bawn? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: