The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury flog it
23 messages
Select a forum:
There's already a fairly good early warning system about upcoming programs of interest - somebody will see something in a TV guide or telly advert and post a message on the forum a couple of days in advance and then, yes, we'll watch it and slag it off ;-)
What I was half jokingly suggesting is what Jacksprat mentions, namely that short articles on ancient sites can crop up in all sorts of unlikely programs. Usually they are only a minute or so long, sort of 'blink and you miss em' inserts that turn up in gardening progs, antiques shows, travel shows etc, not worth setting the video recorder for but of passing interest if you're not doing anything else.
For example, I've got BBC 24 hour news on in the background at the moment, there might be a short article on tourist numbers effecting the landscape on Dartmoor for instance with some shots of stone rows and an interview with a local archaeologist. I would fire up the StonesIM ™ and type in 'stones on bbc24 now' and the message would pop up on other people's screens giving them time to flick over to at least catch some of the article.
Back to the subject of a separate folder/link for programs, I've suggested something similar in the past, namely a separate page for upcoming events such as museum exhibitions, lectures, organised trips, special opening of sites for public access etc. At the moment these things tend to get posted under 'News', which doesn't seem ideal, or on the Forum where they can vanish off the bottom of the page very quickly. I'd still like to see an 'Upcoming Events' page (if you're reading this Holes :-) ) and I don't see why telly programs couldn't be added to that list too.

-Chris

Reply | with quote
Chris Collyer
Posted by Chris Collyer
7th April 2006ce
12:20

In reply to:

Re: Avebury flog it (cropredy)

1 reply:

Re: Avebury flog it (ocifant)

Messages in this topic: