The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Dorset Forum Start a topic | Search
Dorset
Re: What to visit?
23 messages
Select a forum:
I dunno about that - I've always been intrigued to find out if there's any trace of this 'ere "Fortuneswell"!

I don't believe there's anything on the doorstep, but all places mentioned are pretty much only up the road... The Nine Stones of Winterbourne Abbas are lovely (remember to remove any detritus that may be left there!), and are just a quick sprint out the car across the A35... The Broadstone is about a mile up the road , buried but visible in the verge just past the layby... And of course you'll be right by the Dorset Cursus! So if lumps 'n' bumps float yer boat, you'll be in lump'n'bump heaven!

Then, as also previously mentioned, Hampton Down stone cirsle is another close one; the Hellstone (not to be confused with the Helstone!) isn't too far in the other direction; the Grey Mare and Her Colts and Kingston Russell stone circle are not far away... You could easily do them all in the same day. Then there's the Valley of Stones. Golden Cap, as Tex says, is a lovely invigorating walk when teh weather's right... Can be a bit boggy in wet weather...

Have loads of fun, mate! Wish we'd known - we coulda had our meet this weekend! Ah, well - next time, eh?

You may, incidentally, see me wandering around Rempstone circle and Nine Barrows Down again if you get that far tomorrow...

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
24th February 2006ce
17:58

In reply to:

Re: What to visit? (Mr Hamhead)

1 reply:

Re: What to visit? (Mr Hamhead)

Messages in this topic: