The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
The Thornborough Henges
Re: Thornborough on the Beeb
46 messages
Select a forum:
English Heritage have already confirmed 75% of the site does not have nationally important archaeology. Given that no further work have been carried out in this area and Tarmac are saying that the evaporation process for the glacial lake apparently went on hold for 3,000 years I find this assumption rather dubious.

However, the argument is at last getting to the core of the issue - as you rightly suggest - what do we regard as setting?

The settlement on Ladybridge is very likely to be the largest discovered in Britain - Larger even than the one announced at Millfield the other week. This is the archaeology that covers 25% of Ladybridge. I expect Tarmac to say they will not quarry the deposits, but will quarry the rest on the site.

How does this affect the setting? I suggest that setting for such a large structure must include a significant part of its landscape - after all, how would we apply the term setting to the Thornborough Henges themselves? I think most would agree that us ordinary people regard the setting of a henge to cover at least a 100m radius of the structure and when you get to a site such as Thornborough, several hundred meters at least.

But, how do English Heritage interpret setting? Is it hundreds of meters or nothing at all, which I think Tarmac will suggest - purely the land holding the archaeology.

Maybe we should send some letters to EH asking for clarification of this point? I think it has a big impact on a lot of sites.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
11th February 2006ce
12:46

In reply to:

Re: Thornborough on the Beeb (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Thornborough on the Beeb (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: