The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
The Swallowhead Spring
3 messages
Select a forum:
Apologies if I've missed it but there doesn't seem to have been too much discussion on TMA about the Swallowhead Spring (though I note that goffik, megalith6 and C33 mention it in their Fieldnotes, and Jane in her Weblogs). I'm not really into 'mystical experiences' but the first time I went to the Swallowhead was five or six years ago; I was alone, the place was quiet and still and it felt very, very, very ancient indeed - ancient not in an abstract way but ancient in a way that had held meaning for the generations of people who had gone there before - and had gone there for a purpose.

Mark Gillings and Joshua Pollard, writing about the Roman settlement(s) around Avebury say that, "...a pre-existing cult complex related to a shrine or <i>temenos</i> centred upon Silbury and the Swallowhead Springs."* suggests that the Swallowhead was still important to people when the Romans arrived in the area. Michael Dames devotes several pages to the Swallowhead, writing that, "The sixteenth-century topographer John Leland emphasised the connection: 'Kennet riseth at Selbiri hill bottom', while Stukeley again and again links Swallowhead to Silbury..."** Strangely, Aubrey Burl in his <b>Prehistoric Avebury</b> does not seem to mention the Swallowhead at all.

So, I was just wondering what folks thought about the Swallowhead Spring; feelings/impressions when they were there, snippets of information they'd picked up or read about, ideas or theories about the Spring's place in the grand scheme of the Silbury landscape.

* <b>Avebury</b> by Mark Gillings and Joshua Pollard. ISBN 0 7156 3240 X. pp 99.

** <b>The Silbury Treasure</b> by Michael Dames. ISBN 0 500 27140 2. pp 107.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
20th January 2006ce
05:10

Messages in this topic: