The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Megameet Picnic
169 messages
Select a forum:
A bloke decided society was rotten so went back in time to engineer ants to have the ability to grow large.

Still on the theme of animal transformations (though slightly fearful of having me head cut off and, like Bladud's friend, finally squished for talking too much ;-) I can't help adding another piece of worthless information on the transformation of dragons...

According to Chinese legend, a carp that succeeds in swimming upstream in the Yellow River to a place called the Dragon Gate will be instantly transformed into a mighty dragon. Hence, Chinese and Japanese paintings of a leaping carp came to represent good wishes for someone's success - especially success in the civil service examinations of those countries.

There's a lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater Canal that I've often imagined could be the Essex equivalent of the Dragon Gate (well, it seems that way after an afternoon at the Fox and Raven :-) Haven't seen any carp in there, let alone dragons, but yer never know :-)

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
11th August 2006ce
13:59

In reply to:

Re: Megameet Picnic (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Megameet Picnic (moss)

Messages in this topic: