The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   London Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
London Stone
Re: London Gibbons and Riot Stones
15 messages
Select a forum:
heh

the City is such an exciting and frustating place, both at the same time ... there's this fantastic psychogeographical buzz about the place ... lots of twisty turny passage ways and stunning alignments. Yesterday, I walked down from St Pauls to St Brides, down "Pilgrims Road" ... the dome of St Pauls framed behind me, the wedding-cake inspiring steeple of St Brides framed by the buildings ahead ... a dead straight path between the 2. Enough to make you weep with pleasure at the symbolism and possibilities

Then you get there, and see what's been done to it. Even the act of noticing something like the London Stone is seen as an act of dangerous mental instability ...

bah!

The quote from Iain Sinclair that's on the Temple of Mithras page sums it up ... they get hold of the monuments, break them up, move them around the corner, turn them around and put them behind a crappy little fence or window, with a notice saying "look, heritage".

Lots to still to see and do ... I get a wild feeling still standing at the new Mithras temple, looking up the old Roman road of Watling St (and before that ...?) which leads straight up to St Pauls/Temple of Diana ...

oh, and the other problem is all the people who work there ... includes me, on very rare occasions, I suppose

next, the Templar church ...

heh

RG

Reply | with quote
Posted by RiotGibbon
6th November 2001ce
14:18

In reply to:

London Gibbons and Riot Stones (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: