The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: numinosity
234 messages
Select a forum:
>> > By all means - create new words, but how can you expect anyone else to know what you intend them to mean?

English is evolving new words all the time. The beauty of English is that you can do things like 'easily turn-off-and-on-able' and people know what you mean. Take a root word and do what you like to it and people know what you mean - usually anyway!

Granted with some words it sounds crap (like gorgeousity!), but the meaning is still very plain to see.

For instance: <i>blog</i> has just entered the OED. What the feck did that mean a few years ago? Now I could talk of a subject's <i>blogability</i> (i.e. how <i>blogable</i>* something is) and you should know what I mean.

Ain't English a wonder! :-)

*and obviously <i>blogable</i> ain't a word either according to the OED, but it has meaning

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
14th January 2006ce
12:33

In reply to:

numinosity (PeterH)

1 reply:

Re: numinosity (PeterH)

Messages in this topic: