The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ritual
234 messages
Select a forum:
"Knowing Paulus, I'd guess by "sacred" he was describing a sense of numinosity - mixed with some elements of respect, contact, cherishability and plain old undefinable inner glow."

Numinosity is a much mis-used word too. It doesn't actually exist. The word "numinous" is used in all sorts of pseudo pagan magic ways - none of which are accurate. Numinous is an adjective meaning spiritual, holy,divine. From the Indo-European via Latin, it actually meant originally "a nod of assent by a god". That seems to be a long way from a "plain old undefinable inner glow". So unless you believe in a god - both sacred and numinous are words that will convey much more than you intend if used. That is why I say that they have no meaning for me. If they do have for you - fine.

Reply | with quote
PeterH
Posted by PeterH
12th January 2006ce
15:41

In reply to:

Re: Ritual (gyrus)

1 reply:

Re: Ritual (gyrus)

Messages in this topic: