The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ballynoe Forum Start a topic | Search
Ballynoe
Re: A Burly gentleman once wrote..
26 messages
Select a forum:
I suggested in EARLY IRELAND - A FIELD GUIDE that the same people built Ballynoe and Ballynahatty Giant's Ring because both sites are 'anomalous', as indeed is the amazing Millin Bay site (filled in after excavation). I suspect that these odd and rather British monuments are part of a millennia-long tradition of 'anomaly' in the NE of Ireland, just as the extreme NW and N are culturally Scottish, and the extreme SE has strong Welsh connections.

Ballynoe is quite an anomaly. Nothing aligns, and I suggest on my website (www.irishmegaliths.org.uk) that it may have been built as a kind of anti-circle, to draw 'evil power' away from somewhere else. This is a concept which does not come much into prehistoric/megalithic discussions...

By the way, I don't know whethere or not I can ask this here, but would Cursuswalker be able to ask the aero-photographer on my behalf permission to include a couple of those photos on my website ? Or tell me how to get in touch ?

Reply | with quote
Posted by weirwolf
10th January 2006ce
10:34

In reply to:

Re: A Burly gentleman once wrote.. (FourWinds)

2 replies:

Lumps and Bumps.. (CianMcLiam)
Re: A Burly gentleman once wrote.. (Cursuswalker)

Messages in this topic: