The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Callanish Forum Start a topic | Search
Callanish
Re: Blimey Mr 'Ob!!!!!
17 messages
Select a forum:
Good job Hob! Excellent composition and lighting, one ot be very proud of :)

I doubt there's much photoshopping if any on this, what we dont sometimes realise is that night time is just as colourful as day, its just that the organs in our eyes that detect brightness and shades of grey are more sensitive than those that detect colour so at night colours seem to fade. Cameras dont have this problem so its as easy to get colourful pictures at night than during the day.

People usually dont believe there's no photoshopping on this one: http://cianmcliam.smugmug.com/gallery/398534/1/19446696/Large but there is practically none at all apart from sharpening, just a long exposure and angled lights.

The most important concept to understand to get this right is that your aperature controls how bright the artficial light is on the stones, the shutter speed controls how bright the background is. Using manual mode on the camera you can limit the 'burning out' of the stones with the aperature (I usually use F8) and adjust he shutter speed around that (usually in seconds) to get a good background colour.

I hope you dont mind Hob but I had a bit of a fiddle in photoshop: auto levels, unsharp mask (amount = 20, radius = 65, threshhold = 0 is what I use to adjust contrast, better than using the slider) then unsharp mask again to sharpen (amount 160, radius 3, threshold 0). A bit of contrast and sharpening brings out the full 3D effect of this technique, try messing with these settings yourself, this only took about 20 seconds in PS.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/CianMcLiam/41836.jpg

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
13th November 2005ce
12:11

In reply to:

Blimey Mr 'Ob!!!!! (Moth)

1 reply:

Re: Blimey Mr 'Ob!!!!! (morfe)

Messages in this topic: