The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Sunkenkirk Forum Start a topic | Search
Sunkenkirk
From Barry Mackenzie
31 messages
Select a forum:
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland vol 34 (1899 -1900)

extracted from Notes on some cup marked stones and rocks near Kenmore, and their folklore.

by Rev J.B. Mackenzie

"So far as I have examined them, these stones seem to fall into three groups :-
The first group consists of rock cut cups, often single, but more generally in groups , with at times an elaborate arrangement of circles and connecting channels. The meaning of these is very obscure. Nothing which i have ever heard seemed authentic or simple enough - very simple the ideas must have been, or they would never have been so common or widespread.
In the second group, the stones present a natural hollow, smoothed and shaped a little by art. This form may have been used, among other purposes, for the pounding and rubbing down of grains before the invention of the quern.
The third group, which is almost certainly of later date, comprises the entirely artificial stone cups (small ones often called elf cups) and stone basins used for the manufacture of pot barley."

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
9th October 2005ce
21:48

In reply to:

Re: Am I seeing things? (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: