The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: "Sacred" as a prehistoric adjec...
101 messages
Select a forum:
I agree with your remark Littlestone, Great thread Pilgrim,

and also that we should "let the word evolve from its strictly 'sacred' associations into something indicating harmony, mystery and 'specialness' ".... but then, with the exception of a few groups of people, that's the sum total of what we in the modern world now think of the places so aren't we entitled to think of a new word to express exactly what we feel rather than wait for a word that expresses a mere speculation about what people may have thought long ago to become associated with what we think now. We might just as well sit around waiting for Temple to come to mean what we now thinkof the places. It ain't going to happen soon. Just because a word for our modern feelings hasn't been invented doesn't mean we should wait for an old one to morph. Language develops not just by meanings morphing but also through new words popping up where needed. We owe it to English and mustn't shirk our duty. If not us, who? If not us, when?

It's the jumping about between what THEY thought and what WE think that's at the root of the problem. Can't we settle on "Apparently Sacred Spaces" for them, and a phrase expressing "harmony, mystery and 'specialness' " for us? "Special Spaces" might do nicely, but I'll accept whatever you come up with. I DO expect you to rise to the occasion though... ;)

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
9th August 2005ce
08:11

In reply to:

Re: "Sacred" as a prehistoric adjec... (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: