The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Encouraging responsible metal detecting
141 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Chesireman, welcome to TMA

It seems to be the common consensus here that taking any artifact, whether found through fieldwalking or 'metal detectoring', and not reporting it is a bad thing and should be illegal. It is, after all, 'theft from the nation' to deny them access to part of their history/heritage.

I'm not so sure that fieldwalking is all that big a hobby as using metal detectors. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't imagine you get many fieldwalkers going nighthawking for instance.

A large proportion of MD users are responsible, but the few that aren't should be clamped down upon. If the MD community as a whole isn't prepared to self-police then an outside 'authority' should do it for them. No community wants that to happen, so why the seeming lack of action from within? That does look like they're all 'up to no good' even if they aren't.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
1st August 2005ce
13:39

Messages in this topic: