The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Devon Forum Start a topic | Search
Devon
Hound's Tor - Dartmoor
8 messages
Select a forum:
I know this is a Mercury Music prize link, but I was interested by this paragraph in the news piece:

"The title track tells of the legend of a servant girl who got pregnant and hanged herself in a barn. Because suicide victims were never buried in consecrated ground, she was laid to rest at a crossroad near Hound's Tor.
To this day, fresh flowers are mysteriously ever-present on the grave but no-one is ever seen putting them there. "I've always been interested in the legends and mysteries of Devon and Dartmoor," said Lakeman. "All the old boys in the pubs would mention these stories and it's a great theme to write about."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4696707.stm

Couldn't find much on Hound's Tor, is it known as something else? Also would this kind of 'burial' be common practice across the whole of the uk, or just in the West Country?

It's just a thought really and probably not that relevant to much on TMA, but thought I'd ask as you lot seem to know everything!! :o)

Any really interesting books on Dartmoor Legends?

Reply | with quote
Nat
Posted by Nat
19th July 2005ce
15:22

Messages in this topic: