The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
219 messages
Select a forum:
Pink? nah. Can't think why, personally. Not all the experts seemed to think that was right either.

"gave many of us a picture of what Stonehenge may have once looked like - and for me that was a picture breathtaking in its beauty, stunning in its grandeur"
Haven't seen the TV but in the flesh those words "breathtaking in its beauty, stunning in its grandeur" was exactly how it struck me. Never seen anything so arresting. Just plonked there in a beautiful rural setting without anything 21st century around it.It looked completely other worldly - and yet, it was as far as is known, exactly like the ancients would have seen it. What must have been the effect on them?!

"just to feel what it was like to be enveloped by that structure"
Again, you've hit the nail on the head. There was a huge wow! as you went in. "Enveloped" makes a huge difference. It was only wood and sprayed polystyrene after all and yet it was hugeley affecting - there's a secret of proportionality, yet to be understood, I'm certain.

Both the above paras are why I'm convinced that a replica like that is what's needed in any interpretation centre. Nothing except the "real thing" in it's "complete state" could reach people's understanding or hit them in the guts so completely. I came out of there feeling privileged to have been in there. How mad is that, for polystyrene?!

This topic is locked
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
23rd June 2005ce
21:16

In reply to:

Re: FOAMHENGE (Littlestone)

3 replies:

Re: FOAMHENGE (mike croley)
Re: FOAMHENGE (mike croley)
Re: FOAMHENGE (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: