The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Hang on Hang on !
182 messages
Select a forum:
Personally I think you are quite right, and I raised this exact issue with EH. The business of water contributing to it was side-stepped - lets face it as the shaft wasn't properly backfilled in 1777 water must have been finding its way into that area nand directed down to the centre bottom by the river load ever since. (BTW Not a time for theories but this ability to deal with water is connected to what Silbury is about I feel.) They are saying the overturned turf stack has preserved this material beneath and it is in danger from a void that is linked to material in the shaft. This was their reason for using polystyrene at the top - so not to put more weight on this material and force it down into that void and crush what they want to get at. The air in this chamber and water is ruining their chances of calibration so the scientists (not EH) say. I am prepared to take their word for it because they were I believe sincere and I didn't in any event understand their reply.

VBB

Reply | with quote
Posted by VenerableBottyBurp
2nd June 2005ce
11:17

In reply to:

Re: Hang on Hang on ! (BrigantesNation)

Messages in this topic: