The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Hang on Hang on !
182 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Pilgrim,

Sadly you have picked a bad year for Silbury - in 1963 the unseen hole in the top -which was not only there then of course, but drawing material down the shaft and creating a dip that in that year was refilled and grassed over by the MoW who kept no record of what they did ! They thought the damage was due to animals so they covered the surface of the whole top of Silbury in chicken wire. This produced two problems one of which was that electronic equipment introduced in 1968 could not be used on the surface as the wire cocked up the signals so at the very point when science could have revealed the hole and saved the disaster of 2000 it was halted in its tracks by chicken wire. Second, the wire bound the surface material together so that as material beneath fell into the shaft, so the turf layer above became suspended. I guess it was a bit like a trampoline, anyway as you know it finnally parted on May 29th 2000 at 16.42

having said all that I agree that an abitary year pre-Atkinson but post the repairs to the 1849 tunnel in 1922-3 would be as good a model Silbury as is achievable considering the mess the 1776 shaft and 1849 tunnel made - a good year would be say when Frank Mackim did his non-intrusive experiments on Silbury - 1958 ? I know you are out there Frank - please correct us if any of this is wrong !

I would say the nearest you can get to 1958 would be to leave it alone or if anything grout - but certainly not rebore the tunnel.

VBB

Reply | with quote
Posted by VenerableBottyBurp
1st June 2005ce
14:15

In reply to:

Re: Hang on Hang on ! (Pilgrim)

1 reply:

Re: Hang on Hang on ! (Pilgrim)

Messages in this topic: