The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
LOST SUSSEX! Wolstonbury, Hollingbury, Sarsens etc
10 messages
Select a forum:
Hello TMA'ers everywhere,

Great to see some more Sussex postings (Hi Paravellean – very interesting post on sarsens at Hollingbury. Do you put the Hollingbury website together? BTW, you have accidentally posted North Hill in Hollingbury;-))

I am starting this topic to see if anyone has any thoughts/ opinions on Wolstonbury? Anyone else reckon it is a henge?

Also, I know all the arguments for areas lacking megaliths due to no building material, but there are loads of sarsens in Sussex (some suspiciously megalithic looking) at sites like:

Stanmer (Stoney Marsh): Round the church and at Grannys Belt/ Flint Heap
Falmer: Round the pond
Standean
Ditchling: By the church and pond
The Old Steine, Brighton (look in the fountain!)

Do you reckon they have just been dumped in one place by farmers clearing land, or are they megalithic remains?

One more thing, don't other TMA'ers think it would be good to have a Sussex (or even East and West Sussex) grouping in the rest of southern England section? It's all just rattling around in the main section and it is hard to know what is where.
I have mailed the TMA eds about it, and I am sure they will respond…...if you mail them as well, they are even more likely to! Come on eds, I think we deserve it – we might even have a henge in the county after all!!

Reply | with quote
danielspaniel
Posted by danielspaniel
9th May 2005ce
13:26

Messages in this topic: