The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
daniel s re: old boat corner
10 messages
Select a forum:
now i havent got reguular access to internet but a belated reply is as good as any i guess. those pictures of the stone by ditchling road are great. the old boat analogy could go back a long way. do you think that that stone could have been stood up at some point, maybe it is out of position? the stones by the dew pond are in an oval clearing and the view east from the pond sees caburn and firle peeking over the horizon. now some evidence suggests that caburn had dark wood grove on it before it was cleared in the late bronze age, maybe yew and would have been far more visible, from a distance topped with big trees. Also and this may be a bit imaginative but the rocky clump site could by a romanised pagan shrine like chanctonbury or (i think) the nearby hollingbury. and what do you think of the oval mark on the old boat stone?

Reply | with quote
olly
Posted by olly
27th May 2005ce
00:33

In reply to:

Re: other intersting bits (danielspaniel)

1 reply:

Re: daniel s re: old boat corner (danielspaniel)

Messages in this topic: