The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wallington Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
Wallington Hall
Re: Wallington stone
56 messages
Select a forum:
(a) because I have never seen a stone weathered into that shape. The natural inclination for sandstone left upright would be to slump, to become lower and more rounded, rather than hard-edged and angular. There are so many of these decorations on the tops of vertical stones - there's a family of them around Hob's stone in Wallington for contextual continuity - and add Duddo and one of the Devil's Arrows. It's a long list - of course they're carved ...

(b) Yes, I began FOLD!! with a couple of piles of stone and an odd dream - I had to demolish a tumbledown stone bothy on the way - and it took many years occasional work. It was a little like that film by Herzog which starred Klaus Ninski ! (It looks worse close up). I hope to make a little one nearby in August. They can all be seen from Hanging Shaw, Knarsdale, preferably with a strong telescope. That whatshisname based his Cumbrian whatsitcalled on my work at the Knar.

(c) It was Katherine Hepburn that said 'Never explain, never complain'. But where's Hallington Hall ?

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
26th April 2005ce
12:44

In reply to:

Re: Wallington stone (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

Re: Wallington stone (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: