The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
A very personal version of Uffington
4 messages
Select a forum:
Well, I'm not exactly sure why I'm posting this, but perhaps it's because some of you might understand, and some of you might think I'm a complete loony.

Anyway, being somewhat of an afficionado (sic?) of tattoos and also having a resounding interest in neolithic Britain, I decided to merge the two together a couple of months ago.

Whenever I get a tattoo (5 in total now) I think about it for at least a year. The design usually is pinned up on a wall and I look, contemplate, and generally make a concious decision of whether or not this will go on my body for the rest of my life.

Well, my latest addition now rests proudly across my entire right shoulder blade and is none other than the Uffington Horse.

It was not a flippant decision, nor a hasty one, but something I mulled over for quite some time, and am very satisfied with.

Considering that the Uffington Horse is not only one of Britain's oldest images, and also one of it's most striking, it has always had some sort of resonance with me, as I'm certain it does with other people.

I wonder if I'm alone in this situation. Has anyone else felt the desire to print ancient images upon themselves? I'd love to know. Anyone that has the Cerne Giant would truly be a pioneer I reckon! Ha!

Anyway, just thought I'd share this random stream of conciousness with you.

The strangest part of it all, is that although I live in the UK, I'm actually from the US.

So, therefore, I suppose an ingrained interest in neolitihic history transcends borders, has nothing to do with "countries", and is purely something that draws people in by it's very essence.

Well, take care, and if you ever run across a guy with the Uff horse across his back, at least you'll know who it is!!

Scott

Reply | with quote
Posted by Scott7
26th July 2001ce
16:21

Messages in this topic: