The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Biblical quotations: Exodus 20:25.
963 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Remove not the ancient landmarks, which thy father's have set .

Proverbs 22:28

Also, Mr t -

And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Exodus 20:25.

It is strange that you have posted the above biblical quotation as I am currently reading M. Scott Peck's 'In Search of Stones' which is an account of his trip around the UK with his wife of many years looking for megalithic sites - and assessing them in terms of 'holiness' (others might say sacredness). He uses the quality of light and the sense of peace/silence to do this ... the first site on their journey to have this affect was Carrig Samson/Long House Farm dolmen.

I started reading this library book with some reservations, thinking the author something of a 'god-botherer'; it seems that his primary affiliation was with the Quakers who look for the 'light within' ... can't see anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I mention it as the frontispiece is as follows:

"Make me an alter of earth and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your sacrifices of well-being, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to mentioned I will come to you and bless you. And if you make Me and alter of stones, do not build with hewn stones; for by wielding your tool upon them you have profaned them." Exodus 20: 24-25

The quotation still leaves me completly cold I'm afraid ... but an interesting coincidence as this is the first time I have encountered it.

M.Scott Peck published 'In Search of Stones' in 1995, he died in 2005.

Yep..

Pretty dreary stuff J

Tony

Reply | with quote
Posted by tonyh
21st July 2009ce
15:35

Messages in this topic: