The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The Way Stones
963 messages
Select a forum:
Thank you LS. It's about a site that I’ve often written about before, so I didn't mention the name - people might notice that I’m stalking it! It’s on a height half-way between the coast at Rosscarbery and the plain that now contains Dunmanway (Fort of the Middle Plain/ Dún Meán Mhaigh… sorry about the Irish spelling, could be wrong on the third word), off a road that I travelled frequently, as a child, on the way back from the beach. Of course, I never noticed it or probably wouldn’t have known what it was if I did.
I meant it to be fairly universal - what you look at and don't see or what you don't look at at all and what it originally was, how important it was to whoever put it there, how beautiful it would have been (if that's not too dramatic) and how your own perspective on it may change.
It was useful to be able to contrast my original experience of it in the evening - its evening as well, as it were - with the way it would look in the dewy morning (and its morning). Then the fact that I had to age to see it - an opposing movement. The cobwebs are both beautiful and binding. I don't know if that explains it very well.

Reply | with quote
gjrk
Posted by gjrk
18th September 2008ce
12:14

In reply to:

Re: The Way Stones (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: