The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Tony Grist: Henge, barrow and midsummer hill
963 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks Tiompan for your response, I did think of Lindow Man and yes I agree, the practice of suttee is well documented throughout history.

Thanks also Littlestone for your very comprehensive and very interesting reply about the folk-lore surrounding John Barleycorn - and the link (I was quite startled when my lap-top suddenly burst into folk music).

The Tony Grist poem speaks specifically of the sacrifice of a four year old female child and it was really that such practice I was asking about. I do admit that the twentieth century mother in me recoiled but my interest in anthropology (especially concerning the peoples of Britain) wanted to know more. A bit like "did they they really send children up chimneys and down mines in the 19th century". Another thread perhaps?

Thanks again

tjj

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th October 2007ce
21:58

Messages in this topic: