The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Ridgeway Forum Start a topic | Search
The Ridgeway
Ridgeway Traffic Regulation Orders
1 message
Select a forum:
They're a joke, right? According to the National Trails website( http://www.nationaltrails.gov.uk/ridgewayframeset.htm), "Wiltshire County Council - is placing a seasonal TRO upon the whole of its section, running from Overton Hill to the boundary with Swindon beyond Upper Upham. Access points onto The Ridgeway from Avebury, Winterbourne Bassett, Hackpen Hill, Ogbourne St George and Shipley Bottom will also be included within the order.....signs and notices will be placed at every access point to each TRO section". North of Overton Hill, the ruts are so deep that there are fresh tyre tracks circumventing the potholes (people not wanting their "off-road" vehicles getting so dirty they have to spend time cleaning 'em?). I wasn't looking for 'em, but I didn't see any signs while I was up there: I would have thought they would have been front and centre (perhaps securely fixed to a seasonally closed gate at the start of the Ridgeway? I know farms etc have to have access, but surely they could have a key?).

Sorry to be a Grumpy Old Man

Peace
Pilgrim
X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
5th March 2005ce
22:51