The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
DIY Dolmens
1 message
Select a forum:
[I blame Spinal Tap]

Mon, Feb 07 05

Tourist dolmens 'ruining Burren'
http://unison.ie/irish_indepen[...];si=1334521&issue_id=12047

THE practice of tourists damaging protected limestone pavement in order to construct "mini-dolmens" - megalithic tomb-like structures - would devastate parts of the Burren unless action was taken, an expert has warned.

Prof Timothy Jones of the Burren School of Art said certain areas of the Burren would be ruined unless a strategy was put in place to deter people from constructing the DIY dolmens.

Dr Anne Lynch of the Office of Public Works, which is involved in the protection of the 6,000-year-old Poulnabrone dolmen, told the Burren spring conference it was a constant battle at the site to stop tourists from building the mini-dolmens.

"Before the conservation plan for the dolmen was drawn up, a decision was taken to dismantle all the mini-dolmens, but if there is no guide on site through holidays, there are always a dozen mini-dolmens constructed," she said.

The building of mini-dolmens occurs throughout the Burren and Prof Jones said it was a very recent phenomenon.

"It can't be stopped through denying them and condemning them, but through a sensitive communications strategy, by putting up signs at locations and having the local authority and Government involved," he said.

Prof Jones described the practice as "misplaced creative work that has the potential to the change the nature of the environment in the Burren".

Author and broadcaster David Bellamy told the conferencethat global warming wasn't caused by CO2 emissions. "I agree that climate change is happening, but I can't agree that it has anything to do with CO2 and there is no way that saving on CO2 will affect global warming," he said.

Gordon Deegan

Reply | with quote
Posted by blather
7th February 2005ce
14:28