The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kettley Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Kettley Stone
Re: Kettley Stone
12 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks, Paulus. I'd never heard of the Yorkshire plague stones before and there could be something in that. Another of those mysteries I'm afraid. My posting was an attempt to find more information.

I first saw the stone (marked on the OS map) this summer as it is quite close to the Kettley Crag rock shelter. I discovered pebblesfromheaven's photos and fieldnote on this site (from his visit in April 2003) asking if anyone had any further information about the stone. I think the answer is 'not alot'.

I found the illustration and a short description of the carved rock and its situation in The History of Northumberland (1935) and I have posted these on the Kettley site although its purpose and date appear to be unknown. The stone had been known for some time and is a Scheduled Monument, and I find it quite amusing to imagine the old antiquarians pondering over the thing within spitting distance of the only recently-discovered, dramatic carvings in the nearby rock shelter.

The report does suggest the presence of a chapel nearby and I have been wondering if this could have been a font for Christian services held outdoors during a time of religious persecution. The site certainly makes a fine hiding place. Perhaps a cross could have been set up in the post hole on another nearby rock also refered to. Does anyone have any evidence for this sort of thing from Northumberland and from what historical period?

Reply | with quote
Posted by rockandy
26th January 2005ce
22:35

In reply to:

Kettley Stone (Paulus)

2 replies:

Re: Kettley Stone (Hob)
Re: Kettley Stone (rocknicker)

Messages in this topic: