The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
"Orbs" at Avebury
44 messages
Select a forum:
Four years ago, on "Millennium Eve", the hype and hogwash of relentless state and corporate propaganda machines drove me across the country from London, where I live, to fair Avebury. There it was a deep pleasure to join several hundred others in a night of good-natured festivity with neither door control nor entry tickets. Memories and images are lodged in my brain. It was a fine night, however meaningless the date may have been. Thus can we create our own spheres and spaces of meaningfulness.

But a funny thing happened that night. Over the hours I took a dozen or so photographs and on several of them anomalies known as "orbs" appeared, sometimes in remarkable numbers. I had seen such pictures on the web before and, to be honest, was neither greatly impressed by nor enormously interested in them. So it was a surprise when they appeared on the Avebury prints, especially since I visually saw nothing resembling them at the time.

There must be people using this site who were there that night. If you are one of them, and took photos, did anything similar appear on yours? I recently rediscovered the Avebury images during a domestic sort-out and posted a few, with a commentary, on the website www.earthtransition.com (under the heading "Avebury Magic"). I personally approach this kind of stuff quite skeptically - i.e. questioningly, neither gushingly nor dismissively. Some other curious recent photographic images have, though, nudged me into a slightly more active approach to the topic and it would be good to know, not only if anyone else has had this experience at Avebury, but if so, what they (i.e. you) make of it?

Treeman

Reply | with quote
Posted by Treeman
23rd December 2004ce
01:21

Messages in this topic: