The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Fylingdales Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
The Fylingdales Stone
Re: They've done WHAT ???!!
216 messages
Select a forum:
"well the art market would seem to disagree - as do I. And the guy who authorised its reburial (I presume their was no democratic decision taken?) was quoted as worrying that he might one day see it for sale on eBay".

There are many of examples of reburied rock art and rock art that is deliberately left unexposed.

You presume there was no democratic decision made but you don't know this. I presume that this was a team decision and involved the NYM National Park Archaeologist, who is a conservator by trade (or so I've been told).

"How do you know it's creator didn't make it to be viewed and admired, why should it be buried under peat?"
Because it was part of the kerb of a cairn and was inward facing.

I can see good and bad in both sides of this discussion and maybe my responses are not the most rational but quite frankly I'm sick of our local archaeology having the 'best bits' cherry-picked and carted off to some museum where it's context becomes completely lost.
Sure it's a beautiful stone but once it's removed you lose is the dramatic landscape setting, the views over the sea and the moorland, the relationship between this cairn and the other nearby burial monuments, the trackways and rivers, the very things that may have inspired the artist. Things which could hopefully instill something deeper in anyone who sees this stone and possibly give them some insight into why the stone is where it is rather than just view it as a lovely artifact.

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
21st December 2004ce
23:41

In reply to:

Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (smallblueplanet)

2 replies:

Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (FourWinds)
Re: They've done WHAT ???!! (smallblueplanet)

Messages in this topic: