The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: Not my hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
Yes. The same argument could apply to many churches:

http://www.megalithomania.com/show/site/1369

You only have to look a Rudstone, that one with the recumbent stone circle in the graveyard in Scotland the name of which I can never remember, and many others to know that many early churches were placed at previously pagan ritual centres. Kildare cathedral was built around St. Brigit's eternal fire, which had burnt for over 1500 years only to be extinguished by Oliver Cromwell*.

The difference, in my mind, and the reason that most churches do not belong on TMA, is that at most church sites there's nothing left of the pre-Christian temple. This is not the case at holy wells. Obviously, the things that would qualify a well do not automatically apply to every single well.

The association of sacred trees, sacred stones and such things as sacred trout shows that there is good provenence (sp?) for a subset of holy wells to have pagan origins (IMO and usual disclaimers).

*probably not in person :-)

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
15th October 2004ce
11:44

In reply to:

Re: Not my hero (baza)

1 reply:

Re: Not my hero (Mr Hamhead)

Messages in this topic: