The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: Not my hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
I couldn't have put it better..

I am happy to have the well removed..if that is the general feeling....but as you say what about all t'other things that have arrived over the years.

As for the tree chimneys!

Wells must have been worshiped pre Christian times, or at least used. I was up on Carburrow Tor on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor yesterday. There is a large Bronze Age settlement there plus two big cairns and a supposed quoit. Slap bang in the middle of the settlement is a spring...much walked in by cattle and not the sort of thing you would want to drink from but...

It has never been Christianised....there is a well nearer the modern setlement, much more handy. If there had been a "temple" here it has long dissapeared or fallen amongst the rest of the granite that litters the hillside....we will never know.

Once again we get back to the "in the past 4000 years much has changed, we have no proof" discussion.

Mr H

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
13th October 2004ce
08:27

In reply to:

Re: Not my hero (FourWinds)

2 replies:

Re: Not my hero (goffik)
Re: Not my hero (baza)

Messages in this topic: