The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: Not my hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
I too cherish the 'purity' of TMA, but it's not as pure as we all think. We have Cornish crosses, ogham stones, Sutton Hoo!, Iron Age stone forts, brochs, souterrains, tree chimneys (they have to go surely?) ... there's quite a list of stuff that breaks the guidelines, but most of the breaks are fuzzy.

I remember a comment by McG a while back about some of them (was it brochs or souterrains?) where Julian was asked what he wanted to do. They stayed - the new book does stretch the time-frame of TMA quite a bit, but it does remain pagan. This, rather than 'pre-historic' is the key to TMA I think (just my thoughts - not set in stone and enforced by a collie :-).

The question with wells is - why were they Christianised? They're hardly churches are they? It doesn't fit that the early Christian missionaries should come into the west and suddenly make wells holy or sacred - unless they were simply handy as baptismal fonts. It seems more likely (or at least equally likely) that the worship of water at springs and wells was so entrenched at the time of their arrival that they had to absorb them into the new religion.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
13th October 2004ce
07:58

In reply to:

Re: Not my hero (baza)

2 replies:

Re: Not my hero (Mr Hamhead)
Re: Not my hero (baza)

Messages in this topic: