The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: My hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
"So - the wells and springs are pretty much there cos they've always been there? No sudden happenings of springs suddenly gushing forth?"

I was pondering this after experiencing some rather odd water tables out in the hills last week. Boggy bits on top of hillocks, dry bits below, where you'd expect it to be marshy. But what got me thinking was vague memories of hearing of transhumanic folk hiding water sources. If you found a water source and wanted to keep it hidden, so that it wouldn't dry up, silt up or to stop animals dying in or whatever, it would make sense to cover it, and leave some kind of marker to indicate it's presence for when you came back that way.

Then if in later centuries (millenia even?) if there were people who somehow knew the signs that indicated a covered water source, they could indulge in some theatrics, bash the cover open with a staff, and declare miraculous intervention.

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
12th October 2004ce
19:38

In reply to:

Re: My hero (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: My hero (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: