The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: My hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
I didn't realize that becoming someones Hero would bring forth such discussion!

As i said, I wasn't sure about putting the well on the TMA but.....

It is easy to take water for granted...you turn on a tap and there it is...fresh, clean and drinkable. We wash with it, we cook with it and we use it for power (occasionally) I spent Friday afternoon walking around Cardinham parish on the edge of Bodmin Moor, during the walk I came across a dried up ditch...I found out later it was the remains of a leat that took fresh water from a spring on the moor down to the village. It must have taken ages to dig this ditch through a countryside full of granite boulders...but they did it cos they had to.

If man finds fresh water then it is pretty special and I am sure the ancients thought of it as a gift from the gods. No, we have no way of proveing this...but then again we have no way of proving that a standing stone was put up to worship or just to make sure you didn't get lost on the way home from the chieftans orgy!

Good discussion

Mr H

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
11th October 2004ce
18:21

In reply to:

Re: My hero (goffik)

1 reply:

Re: My hero (goffik)

Messages in this topic: