The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: My hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
"Sorry for going on!"

Nar you're not! Nor should you be. It's great to get your enthusiasm spoinging out of the screen.
I dunno what St. Cuddy was doing having a well in the sarf. He's a scots borders laddo. His body was taken on a on a very long walkies though, which is part of the reason he has a sacred well up near Bellingham in Northumberland.

There must be shedloads of wells that *could* be prehistoric sacred places. But how to determine provenance? Associated artifacts maybe? But then they'd have to be more than simply evidence of occupation, like flints etc. Such evidence wouldn't mean the well would have been held as having specialness. Unless you believe that prehistoric peoples held scared the places where they thought their ancestors had trodden.

There's a spot of RA I visited recently that is induibitably associated with a well/spring, but does that make the well sacred? It could be argued that the presence of what are assumed to be spiritually significant carvings imbues the spring with specialness. Depends on your interpretation of the rock art I guess. (Either way, the spring is now concreted over, and the carvings all but forgotten, which underlines the point that such weels should be documented as much as poss, if it's on tma or on the nascent goffnet).

It would seem a tricky business, this designation of sacredness. Same with sacred hills. I guess if you had access to prehistoric british equivalents of aboriginal australian songlines, you could argue that anywhere that was inhabited by people who remembered those songlines could be said to have been sacred. (Behold! The sacred twig of Waaaaalzend!)

Or maybe it's the recorded folklore?

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
10th October 2004ce
23:21

In reply to:

Re: My hero (goffik)

2 replies:

Re: My hero (goffik)
Re: And another thing! (goffik)

Messages in this topic: