The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: My hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
2ps worth. Water is a vast subject, sea,river,stream and wells, but it belongs, at least in my mind with, stone and wood it did have significance in the past. Just by going to Goffik's Url on wells, I traced another piece of the jigsaw round here. Alphage well (Bath) had had water diverted by a farmer, from North Stoke. This water at North Stoke (marked as a spout) falls down a wall by the church, the church itself looks like an early saxon xtian site, situated on a mound, the stream probably wound its way down an old roman/earlier track, to the river avon below, where, strangely coincidental, the now disappeared , prehistoric stones would have been... water is an important element in the landscape, especially in Somerset, magically appearing and disappearing. These spouts have a similar effect to what happened at Boscastle, intense rain on the hills causes a cascade of water to follow a stream course and flood down the hills ..... of course you could say I just made up a story to fit the facts, but wells and water are clues and probably deserve a website on their own.
Moss

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
10th October 2004ce
10:33

In reply to:

Re: My hero (baza)

Messages in this topic: