The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Holywell Forum Start a topic | Search
Holywell
Re: My hero
46 messages
Select a forum:
Will do! Fantastic! Be great to meet up (we're staying at Readymony Cove again so will be just up the road!)

The more I see of these holy wells, particularly the un-christianised ones, the more I'm convinced of their antiquity. How could the ancients not have revered such a pure source of life-giving water..? Especially so close to the salty sea! I reckon holy/sacred wells are a justified addition to the site.

I've been in contact with the delightful Katy Jordan, who used to run the sadly defunct "Holy Wells Web" - http://www.bath.ac.uk/~liskmj/holywell.htm (still links to the wells & spas forum archive) - I've not spoken since we got back from Orkney, but will certainly do so...

I realy hope we can find the cave this time - your pics have urged me on! I could have sworn I'd found it last time, but it looked rather uninspinring in retrospect... Now I know what I'm looking for, I think it'll be unmissable!

G x

Reply | with quote
goffik
Posted by goffik
9th October 2004ce
15:41

In reply to:

Re: My hero (Mr Hamhead)

1 reply:

Re: My hero (baza)

Messages in this topic: